Tuesday, June 20, 2006

And the adventure begins!

This update will cover a very eventful few days.
Friday, June 16:
I left Kingston around 10 AM. By noon I had made it to Saugerties, which had been the farthest north this boat had ever been. I continued on until I reached Coxsackie, about 32 miles out. Not bad for the first day, considering I was nursing some serious injuries from a bad fall (ribs? knee ligament, rotator cuff?)
I anchored behind Coxsackie Island and had a very quite, pleasant night.

Saturday, June 17:
Just as I weighed anchor, it started to rain. I had to break out my rain gear and spent the whole morning slogging upriver in the rain. I made it to Albany Yacht Club (which is in Rensselaer?) a total trip of about 17.4 nm. My son and his girlfriend Kari took me out to dinner for Father's day, gave me a really neat book and a cute card. Mike helped me take the masts down. By Sunday I was feeling really rotten and didn't quite know why. My son insisted that I go to the doctor, and he dragged me kicking and screaming. Turns out I have strep - can you imagine? So...a trip to the pharmacy for antibiotics and an extra night at the Albany Yacht Club to let the meds kick in and now I think I'm on the mend.

Tuesday June 20:
Finally on my way again. Since the masts are down, there's nothing to do but motor, so put..put..put..here I go up river to Troy and my first try at "locking through." Having never done this before, I think I did OK. Got a slight scrape in the paint in a spot where I never thought to put a fender and the bronze rub rail took a beating, but that's what it's for. Had to submit to a "national security interview" by the Coast Guard, but they were pleasant and got it all done in the time it took the lock to fill so no time was lost.
Now I'm tied up at the town dock in Waterford. This is really neat - it should be this way everywhere. There's no charge to dock for 2 nights, $10/night after that, and they provide free electricity (yeah, I know "tax dollars at work." 'Bout time I got something for all those taxes I've been paying all these years.)
Tomorrow, if my health continues to get better and the weather holds, I will run the "flight locks." This is a series of locks, one right after the other, that raise the boat 169 feet in less than 2 miles. This is highest flight of locks in the world. Wish me luck.

No comments: