Friday, December 15, 2006

On the beach and Christmas lights






Well, the boat is "on the hard" for a few days. We had her hauled out for some routine maintenance, painting, etc. It had to be done sometime, so here's as good a place as any.
Last night we went with the crew of "Misconception" to a place called Bellingrath Gardens. It was built by Walter Bellingrath, the owner of the local Coca-Cola bottling plant. Over the years since his death, the house and grounds have been developed into a museum. At Christmas time, they really go overboard decorating the gardens, all 60 acres, with wonderful displays of Christmas Lights. As you walk through the grounds each corner you turn takes your breath away. I tried to get some pictures, but they don't do it justice.
Also, I think I figured out where we will celebrate New Years. About one day's sail from here is a place called Homeport Marina. The restaurant/night club there is run by Lulu Buffett, Jimmy's sister. Sounds like a plan, eh?
Also, can anyone identify this Bird? It's some kind of duck, I think, but it gives new meaning to the phrase "ugly duckling."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Might be a Muscovy Duck---good eating--if you never see how ugly they are. I enjoyed your site. I have a West Wright Potter that I sail on the TN river near Chattanooga. Some day I'll take a trip like you are doing. I have sailed my little boat on the GA coast too--I love the islands there---I think you will enjoy GA as well.