Thursday, May 21, 2009

The best laid plans, etc

We are still in St. Augustine. Not a bad place to get stuck, in fact it's a beautiful city BUT...
We got here last Thursday. We took a few days to visit with Kieth from S. Pasadena, and with Leslie and Ralph whom we met in Marathon last year. We did a tour of the city and got in some grocery shopping. Then the you know what hit the fan. The weather has been absolutely crappy since Sunday. Rain, gale force winds, etc. Just a mess. Needless to say, we're stuck. At least we're at a marina so no worries about the anchor.
The delay now means that it is highly unlikely we will have time to sail the boat to NY and MA and get back to Marathon by Nov 1 for Bev to start work. If we could be absolutely sure of no more weather delays, we might make it, but that is very unlikely so...
We are changing our plans. We are now looking for a do it yourself boat yard where we can haul out, do some work on the boat and then store it for the summer. We'll rent a car, go home and see the family, then drive back and splash the boat again in Sept. We'll be dodging hurricanes on the way back to the Keys, but it can't be helped.
If anyone out there knows a good, cheap, DIY yard in NE Florida or southern Georgia, let us know.
In the mean time, here are a few pics from around St. Augustine.

No comments: