Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What a day!

Just a quick update for now. We are in Gulfport, have wi-fi and will do a big update later. For now I just wanted to share an incident we experienced on the way from Clearwater to Gulfport.
About an hour out of Clearwater, we spotted a Coast Guard patrol boat speeding across our path. We thought they were in hot pursuit of some terrorists so we got out of their way. Next thing I know, they've pulled up along side us. I went on deck to ask "What's up?" and they asked if we've ever been boarded. I said "No," so they asked me to heave to and let them come aboard.
They were actually very polite, did a cursory search of the boat, checked all the safety equipment - fire extinguishers, PFD's, etc. The only thing they found wrong was the fact that I didn't have a "Discharge of Garbage Prohibited" decal on the boat. They gave me a form to show to any future patrols to indicate that I have been boarded and found "OK."
It was a bit intimidating to have the armed CG guys aboard. It left me nervous and in need of a beer for the rest of the day.

We finally got in to Gulfport around 3:45 or so, and I got to have my beer. Now it's time to throw the ribs on the grill and make some dinner.
I'll update more with some pics later.

No comments: